I've noticed a fun "trend" on others' blogs right now of posting a top ten (or "top whatever") list of products/things they either discovered or especially loved in 2012. I'm realizing now, more than ever, that I don't have much of a memory, so I really like this whole top ten thing as it will force me to record things of note from this past year -- a year of ups, downs, wonders, new beginnings, and refreshed outlooks on everything.
So, here we go. Ten things I have loved/especially utilized/discovered/rediscovered in 2012:
1. OxiClean & Zout
Let it be understood that while individually, each of these stain removers is the bomb, I promise you that EVERY SINGLE STAIN that has been thrown at me this year (and let me tell you, I've seen some stains), has been obliterated when hit with this killer combo. Sometimes, it takes days of soaking in oxiclean, a lot of zout, a run through the wash, and then a repeat (or two) of the process to get results, but I tell you that results are had each time. We now buy oxiclean at costco (and have a storage place for it in the garage) and are probably keeping Target in business on Zout purchases alone. But hey, our clothes are clean, so there you go.
2. Pinterest
Man, what did I ever do before I could electronically hoard ideas, quotes, recipes, and tutorials? I'll admit that while it has been the cause of computer vegging at times, it has also led to an increased productivity in my crafting/cooking/parenting/recreating/domesticating life. Well okay, that makes it sound way more influential than is appropriate. But either way, its been a fun discovery.
3. Etsy
Etsy is not new, but its new to me (as far as actually using it). I've come to love having etsy as another resource for finding exactly what I'm looking for. While I don't use it often, I have only been impressed as it has supplied me (twice) with fabrics that were no longer in production (for baby Eve projects -- why is my taste for her so...expired?) You've got to love extra resources.
4. Honda Odyssey
Oh. My. Goodness. I LOVE THIS CAR. It is, hands down, the best car in the universe. Even if you are a one person family, go buy this car. You will love me for telling you so.
5. My parents
That's newborn baby me.
Now clearly, I have not discovered my parents for the first time this year, but this is my list and I am choosing to also include things that have strongly impacted me this year.
With everything I (and my little family) have gone through this year with Eve's birth and my subsequent post-partum emotional crash, my parents have been rock solid and there for me. They have been apart for weeks on end, multiple times this year, as my mom has swooped in to help me and my own little family. They have supported me with phone calls, cards, emails, etc. They have been here for me, just like they always were, and just like I know they always will be. Thank you Mom and Dad. Seriously, thank you. Please know that we could not have done this year (and summer, in particularly) without you.
6. My siblings
I know. We're awesome. We rocked the 80s.
My siblings have also been incredibly supportive of me this year. Amy (my younger, albeit more mature and grown-up sister) to my right actually took a week of her summer to come and take care of me and my kids as well. Amazing, right? I have an incredible safety net of support in this group of friends, and I am grateful.
7. My family
I have been so blessed this year with a renewed perspective on the glory and incredible gift of being a wife and mother. I pray that I will never take these sacred callings for granted; they are the greatest privileges I will ever know. I love my family more than I can express. If my being actually does have fibers, I love this crowd with every one of those fibers.
8. Brian
I don't know how its possible to have married the most perfect man for me. I didn't even KNOW how perfect he was for me when I married him -- so how did that happen?! I love Brian more than should be allowed. He is a rock for me. He does (and has done) everything for me, and continues to look for ways to serve and make me happy. I am so grateful. Thank you, for marrying me.
9. My faith and testimony
Again, while not a new discovery, I feel very grateful to have had multiple experiences this year through which my faith was tried, tested, and thankfully proven. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am grateful for the Book of Mormon. I bear testimony to their truthfulness. This gospel fills me with a deeper joy than anything else can. It fills your soul with joy. Who doesn't need or want that? What a gift.
10. Hawaii
Thia is not the best angle for my ankles...
Did it ever come up on the blog that I turned 30 this year? I did. And to celebrate, Brian surprised me with a trip to Hawaii - the trip we have been dreaming about and talking about and planning hypothetically for 8 years now. Like I said, he is a rockstar. Hawaii is now a constant goal. I loved it. I loved discovering it with my Love. In our minds, it loved us too. So we'll be going back again, and again, and again. You can bet on it.
And there you have it, my list for 2012.
While, perhaps, unconventional, the list is what it should be; because 2012 wasn't a normal year for me, one can't expect a "normal" favorites list (whatever that is).
Happy 2013! Here we come:)











8 comments:
Hey girl! I didn't know you were having such a rough year. I'm so sorry! Hope you're doing better. You are AMAZING! Loves.
Your family picture is amazing. Gorgeous. I would love to try and get together since we're both in So Cal.
I love you! This is an awesome list!
What a fun list to read! I love it! I really miss you by the way. You are amazing!
What a great post! Thank you for sharing Emily!
from oxi clean to hawaii!! looks like a great year :)
darling family, as always.
I love your sweet family. The two of you dont look a bit older then when we first meet in the BYU married ward. Oh and your kids are amazing!I hope we meet up again someday, somewhere!! Keep the lovely pics coming
I love your top 10 list!! What a fab idea. I love you girl, it was SO dang fun to see you and meet for lunch while you were here! P.S., you guys totally have beautiful children!! I love your family photos! Oh and P.P.S. Yes, please do move here and be my neighbor!! :)
Post a Comment