Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pumpkin Festival

Brian here... we're kicking off the Halloween festivities early this year. We went to our very first pumpkin festival today in Calabasas! It was a lot of fun, but it was a little less than we had expected. I should have known that nothing could out do the RV show!!

Here are a few things we learned about pumpkins:
  • Pumpkins originated in Central America.
  • Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites.
  • Pumpkins range in size from less than a pound to over 1,000 pounds.
  • Pumpkins are members of the vine crops family called cucurbits.
  • The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1,140 pounds.
  • Pumpkins are used for feed for animals.
  • Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
  • Eighty percent of the pumpkin supply in the United States is available in October.
  • There's nothing cuter than a 2 month old pumpkin head (Emily's latest crocheting creation).

13 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so jealous!!! I lived in Calabasas for a year, but haven't been back since I left 4 years ago.. and miss it so much!

Brittany said...

Good thing you don't look like that ugly thing or Emily wouldn't have snatched you up! LOL Thanks for sharing. Charlie's adorable. Come visit sometime :)

The Whites said...

I LOVE the pumpkin hat!! Great job Emily!

Bernice Madsen said...

ok, So I'm super jealous of your crocheting skills!! I've been trying to pick it up since being at home and not doing so hot. :o( where did you get the pattern from? I totally love it!

merrilykaroly said...

Charlie looks like a perfect mix between you two. He's such a cutie. Love the pumpkin!

Brandon and Natalie said...

I love the hat! He is such a cutie! I wish I could be there to give him hugs and kisses. WE miss you guys.

Crystal said...

sounds like fun! thanks for all the pumpkin facts.

Emily said...

charlie looks so chill in his bumbo wearing that hat. i can't believe he's big enough for a bumbo! what are his stats these days?

Nancy said...

That is the cutest little pumpkinhead! Way to go on your listening skills at the pumpkin patch to learn all those facts. And my dear sister Susan, why don't you ever comment on your daughter's blog? :)

Jennifer Ricks said...

You have such adorable crocheting skills!

Bethany said...

you would crochet your child a pumpkin beanie.too cute. glad to hear things are going well...love my grandparents!

Rohatinsky Family said...

You are such a cute mom and way too skinny already! =) I've been thinking about you lately because you're the most recent of my friends that has had a baby. How did you handle the last few weeks? I still have 4 days until I'm due and I feel like I can't wait another second. Also, how did being induced go?

Jessie said...

He is so cute!! I can't get over how adorable Charlie's little pumpkin hat is. I'm also really jealous that you still remember how to make them, I should re-learn.