Friday, May 29, 2009

Retrospective Introspections

We're back from Disneyland and had a most glorious time. It was seriously magical and I will never forget the way that Charlie's eyes lit up, over and over again, while we were there. But this post is not about Disneyland; there will be more time for that later.

Have you heard of the NieNie Dialogues? Of course you have, well, maybe. Anyway, I won't go into any details on it (you can look into them if you're interested) and this isn't a tribute to it (I don' t even know if I'm pronouncing NieNie correctly...are they both long i's?), but I checked it out yesterday and in fact, just clicked on it again a few minutes ago and reread the most recent post. It just throws things into sharp perspective regarding something I've been thinking about lately.

I often find myself wondering how I can break out of the regular stay-at-home-mom-mold and make my mark on the world. It seems that these days its not enough to just take care of my boy: incredible stay-at-home-moms everywhere are using their hobbies and talents to teach classes and start businesses and be brilliant and inspire the masses and thereby, change the world. (And you better believe that I respect the heck out of them..yes, I just used the word heck...). So I've spent alot of time and energy trying to be like them and find ways to add something else to my life in order to "make my mark."

But after reading the aforementioned blog yesterday and doing a lot of thinking over the past 24 hours, I have come to a realization (and I'm recording it here for mostly selfish purposes - because I don't want to forget it): I don't want to break out of any mold.

In fact, I cherish the mold I am in, I am so proud of it, I find the greatest joy in it, I will do all I can to thrive in it; and I would never, EVER trade it for anything. Sure, I could go back to teaching, or find some other amazing something to give us more income and a much easier life style. And I will definitely continue to pursue personal development and work on talents and hobbies. But I am a mom, and that is how I am making my mark on the world.

Maybe the whole world won't be changed by my mom-ness for several decades when Charlie Boy becomes a Nobel Prize Winning Super Hero; but my world, my sweet-little-chubby-cheeked-angel-and-hard-working-hunk-of-a-husband filled world is affected everyday by my efforts.

So I will continue to make my mark on the world.

On my world
.


16 comments:

Camille said...

read "in praise of stay-at-home moms" by dr. Laura. It makes you feel so grateful to be home with Charlie. I wish I could make everyone read it. You realize (once again) how wonderful and important it is to be at home.

The Kaspers of Logan said...

That was deep... I was always the one the say, "I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom, it would be so boring." So I went to school, got my degree, and started a career... which I am glad that I did. But, now I have a little one of my own. I only have 5 more weeks left with her until I have to go back to work. I love my job, but it makes me so sad to think of leaving her. Being a stay-at-home mom is anything but boring as I once thought. My days are full and pass so quickly with little Kiley. It has been hard to get the hang of things... and I still don't really have the hang of them, but I love being at home with her. I love laying on the floor next to her while she looks into my eyes and hums. It makes me forget about all the nights she's up crying until 1 or 2 AM for some unknown reason. The special little moments somehow make the aweful ones not so bad. Enjoy your time with little Charlie, it is precious. Love you guys! And LOVE the picture... how cute it that!!!

Lori said...

Amen! You are making a mark on the world right now because YOU are a great example! Keep it up sister!

PS I LOVE that picture!

meg said...

Thank you for sharing that--I have felt more of the joy of motherhood now that I have two kids. I have finally learned to slow down, to just enjoy that we don't have to do anything, and that we can do everything. I do think it's important to seek personal development, to further develop our talents, and to record our own family histories, but it is more than okay to declare our first priority is to take care of our kids and husbands. Thank you for your example.

Sarah and Scott said...

That picture is so cute!

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

Thanks for pointing that out Meg - I TOTALLY agree! It's impossible to fill others if you're drawing from an empty well.

Greg and Tammy said...

The NieNie blog is incredible. She is so inspirational, huh?

BTW, AMAZINGLY darling pic of your boys and their papers. Hysterical.

Ashley said...

I really loved this post. Lately I've been thinking along the same lines and I thought to myself "I really need to blog about that because then I'll look back remember how I felt in that moment" You've inspired me to actually do it! It'll be my next post. Stay at home moms rock!

I would LOVE to take you with me next time I go to the sample sale. I think Brian has my email. Send me your info!

Ashley said...

*Please don't put this on your blog* :o)

I thought I had Brian's email, but I couldn't find it. Mine is ashleykuch@gmail.com and my cell is 435-757-0934. I probably won't be going in June because we're moving to a different apartment that week, but I will for sure go again. I think you'd really like it! We should get together before then.

natterpants said...

I adore you. Call me this week!

(And love that picture of Brian and Charlie! So precious!)

Esther said...

I totally agree with you. I love being a mom and helping Hannah become so that she can in turn make a difference. I know that I make a difference in her life. She knows me. I love it.

.From Her. said...

Emily!! I LOOOOOVE your sweet Charlie Boy. Love him!!

E-mail me, and I am sure I can hook you up. Pierceohana@gmail.com (oh, and feel free to delete this comment after you read it, since my e-mail is on it) ha ha ha

Ashlee said...

well said.

jax said...

What a neat post, Emily! I love the way you defy the world. That's how all of us should be. By the way...I couldn't love that picture more!!!! Pretty sure it needs to be in a magazine or some sort of exhibit!

The Jorgensen's said...

I totally echo your thoughts! There are SO many mom's here in my neck of the woods that have side businesses and I often feel the pressure to do something more that just being a mom, but that's what I'm suppose to be doing right now and wouldn't want to trade it for anything or miss out on anything with my little Megan because I didn't think that being a mom was enough.

Jodi said...

Well said.