Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Apparently this blog is becoming my twitter.

Today is going much better on the potty front. I have to say that upon re-reading yesterday's post, I'm a tad embarrassed at how "drama queen" I was being. But I'm not deleting the post because 1) its is a completely honest representation of how I felt at the lowest point of potty training; and 2) it merited so many helpful and supportive comments from many dear friends. Thank you for that!

I won't go into details, but we are having marked success from where we were yesterday -- as in, we've actually gone in the potty! The undies still get wet on the way to the potty, but atleast we are making it in time/he is learning to hold it until he gets there. I honestly could not be more proud of my little guy.

I was thinking about this last night and realized that potty training is no walk in the park for the kid either. All of a sudden, their whole life changes and serious expectations are present that weren't ever there before. You know what I mean? Because of this, I am working as hard as I can to make this a positive and confidence building experience for Charlie as it can be. For my own documentation, here are some of the things I'm doing (these are by NO means suggestions and for all I know, I am totally doing this wrong. This is just what I am doing based on my own research, talking to other moms, and what I felt would work for Charlie):

  • a few days prior to starting, Charlie got to wear his "big boy undies" over his diaper. This helped to psych him up about wearing them.
  • a couple days before starting, Charlie got to watch 2 of his little friends (who are already potty trained) go potty. That helped build excitement for him when he saw his buddies being such big boys. Thanks Nate and Camden! (Charlie still talks about you every so often when we are running to the potty:)
  • we went cold turkey with daytime diapers yesterday morning after changing his diaper from the night.
  • We aren't night training him yet. I've been told that staying dry through the night is one of the last things kids are able to do. I've heard, and agree, that the majority of potty training is building confidence in the child, so I felt like I'd be setting Charlie up for wet, wet failure if I put him to bed in undies (that kid doesn't wake up at night for ANYTHING) and that said bed-wetting would negate his successes from the day. The method I'm using is for training at day and night and I'm sure it works (it worked for our friends), but it just didn't seem right for Charlie right now. I'm just going to wait until he wakes up several days in a row with dry pull-ups, then we'll make the switch.
  • I have a jar of jelly beans on the counter in the bathroom and he only gets 1 if he gets something in the potty. But I was talking to a friend last night and she said she didn't use any rewards because she wanted her son to do it out of pride and satisfaction for what he could do. So that's the route I've been taking today: not offering any treats after he goes in the potty, just celebrating and dancing even more than I was yesterday, trying to build him up to see the awesomeness of his accomplishments. He's gotten a jelly bean a couple of times, but only because he asked for it after he was done - if he doesn't remember to ask, I don't mention it. And it seems to be working!
Like I said, this list is so I can remember what I'm finding that works so far for Charlie. Who knows if any of it will work for the princess. Only time will tell:)

Someday, we will all go outside and play again. Someday:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh as I read your potty training posts because I always say I would have Ten children if I didn't have to potty train them. In fact part of the reason why I am done on the kid front is that fact alone. The thought of having to do it one more time and with a boy surly stresses me out. I do have to say with Laikyn I have been way more relaxed. I figure she will learn eventually that she dosent like the feel of warm pee running down her legs and she will eventually go to the potty with out my costant reminders. any way hang in their they will get it eventually!

Nancy said...

You are a better woman than me. I decided long ago that, for me, potty training wasn't important enough for me to spend any time on it. Isn't that weird? It's kind of funny even writing those words, but it's true! Good luck! I just don't envy you at all but very impressed indeed. Clearly Charlie will likely be potty-trained long before Grace (she has NO interest whatsoever) even though she is almost a year older! Oh well. I hope she doesn't ruin my streak and ends up going to kindergarten in Depends undergarments. :)

The Lindes said...

first of all, i love your bed spread. it makes me want to get a new one to have that same excitement!

second of all, i hope potty training is going better! i've been telling ally that charlie goes potty in the toilet and it seems to be helping a little bit! she'll do anything for her boy;)

and third....we MISS you all to pieces! we are still trying to figure out some weekends that we could come down and see you:)

The Lindes said...

first of all, i love you new bed spread. it makes me want to get a new one just to have that kind of excitement(though that's not practical at all since ours is in fine condition).

second, i hope potty training is getting better every day! i have to admit that i lie to ally and tell her charlie does potty in the toilet and it seems to help.

third....we MISS you all to pieces!! tell brian to go to stanford! or maybe we will just come down soon.