Monday, February 21, 2011

Its time.

Last week, it was all over local weather that LA would be getting a solid week of rain starting yesterday. I decided that since we would be stuck inside anyway, it would be a cracker jack time to potty train the boy. (Please note what a huge step this was for me -- deciding to just go for it. It is honestly irrational how terrified I have always been at the daunting thought of 'potty training').

Funny how forecasts change though, huh? Because now, its supposed to be sunny and perfect outside all week, until Friday when its supposed to start raining. And I'm using a 3 day potty training method starting tomorrow, Tuesday, and ending (in theory) on Friday morning. Awesome.

However, I've been pumping Charlie up for this for over a week now (and simultaneously psyching myself up for it) so there was no turning around, even when the weather did.

So here we go. I've got the bathroom cleaned and prepped with Kandoo wipes, a jar of jelly beans, and post-it notes on the walls with prompts of what I'm "supposed to say" in certain situations (because honestly, once poop is involved outside of a diaper or toilet, I don't trust myself to remember the 'developmentally appropriate phrases' this method suggests. Sorry.) There's a bag of "ultra-cool" prizes stocked and ready to go on top of the fridge, for those really awesome accomplishments. One of the couch cushions is covered in plastic - Charlie's designated spot for when he wants to sit on the couch, and the carpet is covered with a plastic drop-cloth. I've even made a chart, using photographs, of our revised "2 trips to the potty before bed" bed-time routine. I'm almost getting excited for this.

Bring it on.

Just not on the couch, carpet, Lucy, or me. Please.

6 comments:

The Kaspers of Logan said...

Good luck! It sounds like you are VERY prepared! You can do it Charlie!

Meggin said...

Good luck! I am sure you will both do great! Ty was 2 1/2 when I potty trained him, too--I just got so sick of changing two sets of diapers! I am sure you can relate!

natterpants said...

WHOA! I think it's been awhile since I've seen a picture of Lucy (below) because she looks so grown up! Holy moly! I want to see you!

Good luck on the potty training. If anybody can rock it, it's you. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Jennifer Ricks said...

Good luck!!!

Emily said...

Invest in some latex gloves. I just cleaned up number two off my bathroom floor, and while it was gross, it would have been worse without gloves.

Good luck! Some kids just get it, and for others it's a process.

Melissa Christensen said...

Melissa(Stirling) here -
My sister used that method for her little boy and it worked like a charm. Good luck. Where do you live in LA? We should get together for a playdate. We live in Redondo Beach, right off the 405.