Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I hate potty training.

And you know what, its actually going well - relatively speaking. He's yells "UH-OH" everytime he starts to go, I whisk him to the bathroom (per instruction from "the method") but by the time we get there, he is done. I have a big load of undies just sitting in the washing machine, waiting for their other dry friends to join them. He seems to be getting it -- well, atleast he recognizes when he is going and tells me. That's a start, right? Right. Atleast that's what "the method" tells me.

Even so, I hate potty training. Do you know that the only reason I even decided to do this right now was because of the "forecast"? Stupid weatherman. I honestly didn't mind changing the boy's diapers. He barely eats, so his diapers were more than kind, as far as diapers go. It wasn't annoying at all. But now there is no turning back and I'm kicking myself for being remotely optimistic about this whole process.

Poor Lucy is totally getting the shaft today because all of my attention has to go to Charlie -- to monitor him and be at his side so that when an accident strikes, I can run him to the potty. He loves it, but she is screaming. And to top it off, I think she is getting sick, because she is on a serious nap strike and is super fussy and sad. GREAT.

I think that I would rather have natural child birth than potty train. I mean, seriously, they make diapers in much larger sizes than Charlie wore, and after that, there are Depends. Who's going to keep these companies in business if we all potty train our children?

And you better believe that I just polished off the last of the jelly beans that didn't fit in Charlie's treat jar. Brian's going to have to stop and pick more up after work. Apparently, I'm an emotional eater.

But maybe I should address the root issue here? I hate potty training because it means my baby is really growing up. This is the last "thing" to check off in order to leave baby-dom. And I hate that. I REALLY hate that. In all honesty, I don't think I'M emotionally prepared for potty training. This is really, really killing me.

On a brighter (and shinier) note, my floors have never been cleaner. I've been scrubbing them all morning.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

I just wanted to give my support....and my sympathy. I hate potty training, too. My first took his sweet time to "get it". We're talking over a year. But my second totally did it in the three days that "the method" says it takes. The first day I remember crying after he peed all over me, the toilet and the bathroom walls about a dozen times but by the third day he really had it down. It was kind of amazing. So keep at it, and I'll wish for the best for you!

Michelle said...

I can SO relate. Good luck with potty training and growing up! :)

Juliann said...

Hang in there!! You can do it! You can do it!!....or maybe I should be saying, Charlie can do it! Charlie can do it!...no, probably the first. :>)

The Jorgensen's said...

It will get better. If he's really not getting it, it's really not the end of the world to go back to diapers. It doesn't make you a bad parent. I did a day of training with Megan when she was 2 1/2 and all she did was pee all over everything the whole day, so I put diapers back on her and tried again in 4 months. She was almost 3, but really ready for it then and it was a breeze. I really recommend waiting until they are a little older.

jazmine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jazmine said...

oops! I posted the last comment before I read your new post of the progress. Hang in there. I'm sure it will be better tomorrow!!!

natterpants said...

You can do it! You'll be grateful soon when he's got the hang of it. Do you have a baby carrier/sling or something you can tote Lucy around for a little while so she doesn't feel so left out? Not that I think you're neglecting her or anything but just if it would help keep her happy and ease your stress a little. Keep up the good work!

(P.S. I read the paragraph about depends out loud to Jacob and we both had a giggle about it! So glad potty training is a long ways away for us!)

Lori said...

You should have called me first! I would have said, "Don't do it!!!":) We have been working on potty training Emmett since November! Yes, that's 4 months now! (without a washer and dryer in our apartment)

You are wise to not turn back now though. We tried stopping for a while, but the poor kid was just confused so we had to start back up again. He is doing much better now, but still has a couple accidents almost every day.

I hope Charlie does much better for you!! Sorry to be such a Debbie downer! It just stinks (did you like that pun:) when you're right in the middle of it!! We need to chat soon! I know... it's my turn...:)

I like how this comment is so long I felt the need to create paragraphs!

Courtney said...

Ah man, sounds like a mess. Literally. I'm not sure I can deal with that part. Good luck finishing up. I'm sure it will be totally worth it once it's done. I think I might try it next month with Westin, so I'll have to hear all the details of your method.

Courtney said...

Ah man, sounds like a mess. Literally. I'm not sure I can deal with that part. Good luck finishing up. I'm sure it will be totally worth it once it's done. I think I might try it next month with Westin, so I'll have to hear all the details of your method.