Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From small beginnings, come great things...

Lucy, I don't think anything could be more appropriately said of you.


You are one year old today, you know.

It is wonderful, exciting, and shocking.

About 10 million emotions have been flowing through my mommy-heart today: excitement, that you are a birthday girl and that today is YOUR day; amazement, that an entire year has come and gone since you joined us; worry and sadness, that perhaps I have missed moments of this year while my attention has been split between 2 sweethearts...its super different being mom to 2, on this front...; but mostly, I have felt overwhelming joy that you are here, in our family, and that you will be with us for eternity. What an amazing blessing. What an amazing miracle. Kind of like you:)

Your name means "light." If we had known you at all when we were deciding on names, the way we know you now, we never would have questioned that you should be named Lucy. You literally have a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, all day long. Even your hair shines a beautiful auburn red when the sun hits it. You are a literal light, Dear Lucy!


You came to our family exactly when we needed you, though we weren't aware at the time. From the moment you entered our house, there was a tangible difference in the spirit of our home. You have brought such a large portion of Heaven into our family - we will never be the same, because of you. Thank you for that, Sweet Lucy May.

You are so fun! You are such a busy bee and are most content when you are either surrounded by family, or in a new place that is free to be explored (without Mommy hovering over you!). You are quite the daredevil and coincidentally (not to mention, fortunately) a tough little cookie. I will never forget the first time you learned to sit up: as I went to get a "safety net pillow" for you, you promptly fell backwards and bonked your head on the less-than-soft carpeted ground. As I ran to help you, you just rolled over and started laughing. I'll admit, while I was relieved, I was pretty confused too:) But that's just how you roll -- brushing it off, and always moving forward. What a wonderful exemplar you are of such a vital life lesson we all should learn.

It is an absolute honor to be your mother. We are so grateful for you and love more than you will ever know, but you can bet we will spend this lifetime trying to help you know.

Thank you, Sweet Lucy, for being here, and being ours.

Happy Birthday, Beautiful Lulu!

We love you to pieces!!!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Can you believe are cute girls are one!? It went so fast.

Happy birthday Lucy!

natterpants said...

Oh my heck, look how cute she is. She's getting so big! One year, wow. Can't believe our babies are turning one!! Can't wait to hear about your celebration. I miss your face!

Brandon and Natalie said...

She is adorable!! I can't believe that she is one already. She is so beautiful!!

The Kaspers of Logan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE LUCY!

Kim said...

I had to double check that I was reading your blog because time really does fly!! happy birthday Lucy. She's darling.

Emily, I just have to tell you, you write the most amazing notes to your children. They will cherish your words one day! how lucky they are!!!

scott and linds said...

So sweet! And Lucy is so adorable. What a fun birthday party! You are such a talented lady- Lucy will have a great example to look up to. ;) A year comes pretty fast, uh!? crazy!

Kara said...

emily,
did you make the chair cover and hat?
Kara

Kara said...

Thanks for answering Emily. Do you mind if I copy the idea? It's too cute to resist!