We are having a baby in T-minus 11 weeks (but who's counting, right?!) and while we have a camera, I have NO IDEA how to take "good" pictures. And when I say "good", I mean the "really creative, great lighting, fun angle, can't even tell its been taken just on your living room couch with a sheet, rivaling Ann Geddes style" pictures that I see on EVERYONE'S blogs! I just want you all to know how impressed I am with your incredible talents:)
Up until now, I've just thought, "I'll just have my talented friends take those kinds of pictures for me," but I'm realizing that that's not always going to be an option. Thus, I have discovered a new motivation today to learn photography -- not for a serious career, just to be able to take "good" pictures of our little dude whenever and for whatever reason.
Thus, my plea.
Does anyone know of any good online photography course-type things? Maybe that's a dumb question. Maybe online just isn't a decent option for photography training. Should I try to find a community college or something of the like in L.A.? Do photo studios - or other camera-y places - offer classes (akin to Michael's offering cake decorating)?
Hopefully its not a matter of "having an eye for it" because if this is the case, I am nothing short of doomed in this new-found desire.
Anyways, let me know what you know! Thanks:)
13 comments:
I feel the same way you do. I was just talking to someone last night about it. If you know someone that takes great pictures ask them if they can talk to you about it.
Emily,
I don't know if this is the best place to go, but at least it gives you somewhere to start. I have been getting into digital scrapbooking and joined a forum... I noticed in the forum there is a photography section... here is a link to the forum: http://forum.digitalscrapbookmemories.com/
And as I quickly glanced through the posts I noticed a link for 21 tips on how to shoot better photographs: http://www.10e20.com/blog/2007/07/27/21-ways-to-shoot-better-photographs/
Hope this helps!
~Sarah Crane
I have been feeling the same photography envy, Thanks for putting the question out there!
Hey Emily... Lindy Shugart did an online photography school, and is amazing. It's called MLK Studios. Check it out... You can also check out her blog: http://lindyleighphotogg.blogspot.com/
Hope that helps!
Jenn
Emily - I feel exactly the same way! Actually just today I was at the library and found a book by National Geographic (and if they don't know how to take good pictures, who does?) called "How to Photograph Your Family." It was full of tips and examples on how to take creative looking pictures. Also, I am with Shannon, thanks for posting this question. Also, good luck with moving to LA, I will miss running into Brian at the Tanner and getting updated on your life.
Yes I sure do know of a "course" you can do!
2peas has been doing a "12 Weeks to Better Photos Class". I think it mostly applies to SLRs, like the rebel you used to have. But I don't know if your digital camera is SLR so you might not be able to use all the info.
On this link you can find weeks 1-6 in one pdf file and the other weeks in individual pdf files to download.
http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/cg_display.asp?g=2&seed_id=26134
And I'll help you in NY if I can. :)
I've had friends take a night class for three weeks at the communtiy colledge here in Farmington that was amazing for them maybe you should check into something like that
I did the tutorials that Natter mentioned. I really enjoyed them. I don't have an SLR camera, but I still found them to be very helpful! Good luck!
For some cool photo stuff I like www.thepioneerwoman.com - click on her photography tab on the left. She does a lot in photoshop but also has some good regular photography tips.I have other sites too... I'll find em and give em to ya. I say do websites, community college classes are hit and miss.
EMILY!
Congratulations!!!
Kodak also has some wonderful tips on better photos!
Here is one that is pretty easy to follow...
http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php?MORGUEFILE=2c9tjf33qj5c1ed5225i8hb9t2
go down and click on lesson 1 to start!!!
Check out http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/
They always have great tips and tricks.
I felt the same way and decided to take one of those community education classes at UVSC. I'm only three weeks into it, but I love it and it has taught me a lot. I would suggest looking for one at a community college when you get to LA.
Post a Comment