Tuesday, September 08, 2009

It was one of those days

Have you ever had one of those days where everything in the world seems to combine against you to bring you down? Oh man. Charlie Boy had one of those days on Sunday. It was really sad.

It all started in the primary room.

I've recently been called to the primary presidency and was in charge of sharing time this past Sunday. The kids were all in their classes giving me the perfect amount of time to set everything up. The only glitch: Brian was teaching Sunday School that self-same set-up hour, meaning that I was on Charlie-patrol. Normally, this is no problem, but trying to keep an eye on him while setting up sharing time for an entire primary is a different story.

First, he managed to pull a folding chair onto himself knocking him over and into a second folding chair before the first one fell on him. Note: I was standing right next to him when it happened. I still can't figure out how he managed that one -- I was RIGHT THERE.

So I pulled the rubble off of my poor, scared, confused little boy and after lots of cuddles, kisses, and hugs, he recovered and was safe...for another few minutes atleast.

The pulpit in our primary room is on a stand less than a foot high with 2 steps leading up to it. Charlie of course has always loved playing on these steps and its never been a problem because I am always there to help him down (he hasn't quite figured that part out yet). Well, as most moms will say, "I turned my back for 2 seconds" and just as I did, he bolted across the room, up the steps, and as I was running across the room to help him down, he nose dived down the two steps, cutting his little finger and biting his top lip. Can you even imagine the meltdown that ensued? Thank goodness there are so many pictures of Christ in the primary room (Charlie's favorite thing in the world), so we were able to calm and distract. The finger stopped bleeding as soon as water hit it. The fat lip, however, continues to be the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Thankfully, Brian showed up shortly thereafter to save his son from an apparently neglectful mother. The rest of church went well for the boys.

And then we got home.

Charlie's walking now (have I mentioned that? Its been about a week -- thanks to our dear Natter and her spacious apartment that gave him room to walk!) and as such, he bumping into everything. I can't even remember everything that he hurt that afternoon. However, he still has a bruise on his forehead from the dining room chair and the bump above his ear is finally gone from the corner of the computer desk.

Let me point out that he's been walking for a week and aside from Sunday, has had almost NO injuries.

It was almost like for 1 day, Sunday, Charlie was much too big for his own skin and couldn't figure out how to maneuver his awkwardly new big-ness around his completely baby-proofed playground of a house. It was really sad.

At dinner, we were sure he'd be safe as he was strapped into his high chair. We even cut his grilled cheese sandwich up extra small to avoid any potential "freak accidents." But nobody could have expected that he would try to swallow a bite of his sandwich without chewing it. Enter choking and panicked parents. Thanks to the girls camp's certified pinky swipe, we made it through the rest of dinner relatively unscathed. Ugh.

And to add insult to injury...we forgot the diaper bag at the church building. Not too big of a deal except that it contained the only remaining binky we own (and haven't lost). You must understand that while Charlie is weaned from the binky during waking hours, it is essential to his comfort when falling asleep. Well not on Sunday. So on the one day that he needed more comfort than any other day that I can remember, we had to start full-fledged binky weaning.

We finally got our bag back last night, but felt like we'd already made it so far, we might as well go all the way with the blasted weaning. So here I sit, listening to my son wail from his crib, trying to fall asleep for his nap, while I try to restrain myself from reuniting him with the blessed binky.

Oh Sunday.

What a day.

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Poor little Charlie boy. What a sad day. :(

Unknown said...

i can't wait for those days.....being a parent is such an adventure ;)

Ali and Brian Babcock said...

poor Charlie and poor you! I stumbled upon your blog today and not wanting to be a secret blog stalker, wanted to let you know I'm on here. Such a cute blog!
-Ali Babcock

Brandon and Natalie said...

Poor Charlie!! It sounds like it was a really rough day for everyone. I am sure he just needed hugs from his favorite person who he hasn't met yet to make him feel better. Good luck with the binkie weaning.

Meggin said...

Poor Charlie...and poor YOU!! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

What a day!! You are a rockstar though...glad you made it through! Happy weening!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! He walks!?!?! That is big important news! I am sorry he is hurting himself so much, poor guy. All part of the new adventure of being mobile on your feet (instead of hands and knees). I am so excited that he walks!

Amy said...

sorry em, you don't have to post my previous comment. It was my only way to share with you my excitement over Charlie walking when it is midnight and too late to call. I was just real excited and had no idea! Are you guys still coming to visit this month. I really really hope so, wasn't it going to be next weekend!??!!

Kim, Byron H & M said...

I live in fear of when Harrison begins walking. But, I did do the certified pinky swipe today, so I can relate to you on that one!! I'm glad you guys survived it, now you just have to survive the weaning!!

Kelli said...

oh my, poor Charlie! rough day for both of you! By the way, that is the cutest little party you had for him...he is soo adorable em! I hope this week goes better! Miss you and I hope to post some pics of my little one so you can see her, she is growing way too fast!

Tyson and Heather said...

Poor Charlie!!! That doesn't sound like a very good day. I can't believe he is walking! Where has the time gone?

We need to see you guys ASAP...