Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grateful

I was just reading a friend's blog and was touched, deeply, by something I haven't really thought about for a while. Lately, the "craziness" of life has thrown me off -- too off. I feel like I am focused too much on things that don't really matter which is, in turn, taking my focus from all that does really matter. I am grateful for this friend who has helped to bring me back.


They suffered a tragedy in their family several months ago and her perspective and thoughts on said event are inspiring and gratitude-inducing.


Tonight, she re-inspired a basic and deep gratitude for being a mother, but not just any mother, a mother to Charlie and Lucy. I have the profound privilege of knowing, loving, teaching, and guiding these precious little ones while they are here on earth. I get to be a witness to their lives. I am so grateful.


I'm so grateful that I get to wipe away Charlie's tears. That its me he asks for when something is making him nervous. That I get to hear his giggles and joys. That he wants me to hold him -- and that I get to hold him.


I am so grateful that I get to run my fingers through Lucy's hair. Whisper to her that "its okay, Baby Girl" when she is sad. Carry her around the house with me. That I get to look into her eyes, and see her smile.


Our friend won't get to these things with her baby in this life. And I get to.


This is one of those times when the word "gratitude" is beyond inadequate. But it is the only word I have, so I will use it.


I AM GRATEFUL.


I am grateful to be a mother.



And I pray I don't ever forget it.

5 comments:

natter said...

Thank you for this always welcome reminder. Can't wait for Addie to wake from her nap so I can snuggle her!

Emily said...

Amen! I've been digging myself out of the same funk.

I've been really inspired by President Monson's thoughts in this last conference that sometimes we focus too much on what is lacking instead of remembering what we have. It has helped me remember t o be more grateful for everything, especially Brandon and the kiddos.

The Kaspers of Logan said...

I feel for your friend and don't even know who it is. No one should have to go through something like that, I can't even imagine... how awful.

Charlie and Lucy are precious as always! Give them hugs from me!

.From Her. said...

Emily!!

I adore you. So very much. In fact, when I grow up, I would love to be "Emily". I have always thought so highly of you, and I am so glad that we have been able to keep in touch. Thank you for your sweet words. You are far too kind. I really appreciate it.

Now.

Let's get together. For reals. When can we make this happen??

The Shupes said...

It is good to be reminded of that often. We are so lucky we get to be moms, I just wish I didn't forget that so often. So thanks for the good reminder.