Monday, February 27, 2012

The Big Reveal

When we found out that we were expecting baby #3, we toyed with the idea of letting the gender remain unknown until delivery (and when I say "we toyed with it," I mean Brian thought it would be awesome and I agreed for 10 seconds, until I realized that I have nowhere near such patience.) In the end, we nixed the idea for 2 main reasons: #1: I knew I wouldn't be able to wait. #2: Brian has a VERY hard time with baby names and the thought of having to decide on 2 different names about killed him. Yay for me! With that option out of the way, we decided that we would do a gender reveal party.

The ultrasound was on January 16th and we did the party the next day on the 17th (we found out Charlie was a he on March 17th and that Lucy was a she on October 17th [each date by chance], so the timing was spot on for keeping with our accidental family tradition). We kept the party very small -- just our little family -- and it was perfect: casual and personal; just the way we like things.

We started with a special dinner of baby back ribs, baby (new) potatoes, baby carrots, and baby cantaloupe (I used a melon-baller to scoop the cantaloupe out....who knew that melon-balling was a talent...not to mention one that I seriously lack?). And of course for dessert: "baby cake!"


Our neighbor (and dear friend) is an incredibly talented Bakerella and offered to make a reveal cake for the little soiree. It was beyond darling (and so little -- that's a salad plate!)

We set up the video camera before cutting the cake and went around, each person making their guess as to the baby's gender. Would you believe it, we were all WRONG! Each of us thought it was going to be a boy! Sorry Little One...we won't show you that video.

You can imagine the shock when Brian and Charlie cut the cake!

We are so excited to welcome another little lady into our family! We love you Little One!

ps...the cake was DELICIOUS. And pretty much devoured on site.


pps...as a result of this night, Charlie thinks we should name the baby "Little Baby Girl with a Pink Cake." Pretty catchy, if you ask me. We could always abbreviate bc that's totally in right now...LBGWAPC...

8 comments:

Bonecrusher said...

Love this post. How fun. And, there is just something extra special about little baby girls. We love ours! Congratulations!

Meggin said...

What a fun idea!!! When are you due? We've got a little girl coming our way around June 12. How fun!

Kathryn Cooper said...

That is such a cute idea! Yea for pink!

Juliann said...

You might be the cutest person I've ever met! Long live the 1st teacher in all of us!!!!
Congrats on another pink addition!

Jill Revell said...

oh my heck...what a fun way to reveal it! love it!

congrats! that is so exciting!

Brandon and Natalie said...

So excited for you guys. Such a cute and fun idea, but I would never expect anything less from you Em! Miss you!

Aleena said...

EMILY! Congrats on baby #3. I was wondering when all my friends that have two little ones around the same ages as mine would have their third. You are my hero. I can't even imagine being pregnant right now. Can't believe I had my first two so close together. Good luck bringing this precious baby girl into your family. I would like to hope that I can be patient when I have my third and let it be a surprise but I probably won't be able to wait either:) Your kids are adorable, can't wait to see the new little one!

Jenny said...

Congratulations on baby #3 and another baby girl! We're so happy for you!