Wednesday, February 15, 2012

V-Day 2012: a recap for the family journal

I really love Valentine's Day. I love the challenge of taking a small holiday and making it special. I love that you can dress in pink AND red and be accepted, even cute;) I love that we get to celebrate love and kindness. For these reasons and more, we try and do it up around here.

We started off the day with raspberry heart-shaped pancakes, "heart" shaped fried eggs, and heart shaped banana slices...(notice there are only 5 bananas per kids -- the banana-trimming got old, pretty quickly for me). The kids also each received a new Valentine's Day book, wrapped underneath their plate -- a tradition that I grew up with and loved. Note to self for future Valentine book purchases: don't buy one child a "lift the flap" book if you are buying the other kid a "normal" book. Disappointment is, apparently, inevitable. And once said folly has been realized, don't even bother trying to convince the flap-deprived child of how cool their book is: your efforts will be in vain.


Breakfast was followed up by sugar cookies -- baking, not eating (yet). We tried out a new recipe that uses sour cream and I am very sorry to report that they are delicious. I need to get those cookies out of my house.



After the cookies were baked, the kiddos got all dressed up in their darling new Valentine's Day clothes (compliments of Grandma -- thank you!) and we met up with Brian for a romantic Valentines lunch at Panda Express ;) It was such a huge treat to see my Valentine mid-day. Work demands have kept us from seeing that guy very much at all the past month, so lunch was extra EXTRA special.

And extra EXTRA cute. Look at those kids!
I seriously need to get some new attention grabbing look-at-the-camera-and-smile-right-NOW skills. And better lighting...


That night, we had our traditional "Fancy Family Dinner" (thank you, Costco heat-and-serve lasagna) and just enjoyed being together on a special day.

Look how real I am - posting a picture of us with piles and piles of unfolded (but clean) laundry in the background :) Not to mention that neither of the kids is wearing pants at the dinner table...whoops.

Happy Valentines Day to you and yours!

4 comments:

Rice Family said...

Emily- I SOOOO enjoyed your vday post. Super Duper cute! And I must tell you that I laughed at the last picture. It is nice and reassuring to see a "normal" home with clean unfolded laundry in the background and kids wearing no pants at the dinner table. Being a wife and mother is the BEST! You have and adorable family!!!

natterpants said...

I love it! Look how big Lucy is getting!? We need to get our girls together before we take off who knows where! How cute would they be together?

Tauna said...

Emily! I LOVE IT!! You're awesome!

Tauna said...

Just realized we had the same meal on V-day--heart shaped pancakes and heart shaped eggs!! except we had ours for dinner. That's how it works when you have to have a child at school before 8:15