Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thanksgiving with the Ames'

This year was it was Brian's family's turn to enjoy our presence at Thanksgiving:) We had so much fun this year! We decided to divvy up food assignments to all the kids: Brian's oldest brother was in charge of rolls, his older sister did the mashed potatoes, we did the pumpkin pies & sweet potatoes, his younger brother did the turkey, and his parents filled in all the rest! It was too much fun:)
Since I'd never made a pumpkin pie before, I decided to start my pumkpin pie-making career off on the hard-core foot. We made them from scratch!!! That's right folks - we cut the pumpkin, steamed the pumkpin, pureed the pumpkin, and even made the pie crusts:) It was alot of work and alot of fun!
The sweet potatoes turned out well too...if you like sweet potatoes. I've never really been a fan, and thus with no attachment to the traditional roasted marshmallow kind, I found a yummy recipe from food network:) They were okay and I liked them more than the marshmallow-y ones, but they still haven't made my list of top 10 faves.
Anywho, all in all we had a fantastic time with Brian's family and can't wait for Thanksgiving to come again next year!

1 comment:

Kathryn Cooper said...

Wow you're amazing! We cut open our pumpkin that we never carved for Halloween and said no way. I thought about the scratch idea, but I don't think so. I do make the pie crust from scratch, and the rest of the pie is from scratch except we buy the pumpkin puree. Good for you though, I bet it tasted delicious! I think I'll have to make a pie today; I'm getting a craving!