Sunday, May 06, 2007

Com licença Senhor!

Brian served his mission in Brazil and we have talked for a over a year now about wanting to go down there together as soon as we can afford it. As excited as I am for that trip, I have always worried that it wouldn't mean as much for me as I don't know a lick of portuguese...well all of that changed the other day! I was perusing the aisles of our local DI store when I came across a 4 CD language series in Brazilian Portuguese for only $4! I was STOKED.

Its become our radio, soundtrack, and conversation in the car now, wherever we go. I've only done the first lesson, but I'm super impressed with the program because I've already learned an entire conversation! Of course, I'm still struggling to remember how to say what I've learned when talking to Brian, but I'm improving:)

Here's a sample of a conversation between Brian and I (of course based on what I already know...or should know at this point)

Emily: Com licença Senor (excuse me sir). O senhor entende ingles? (Do you understand English?)
Brian: Nao entendo ingles. (No I don't understand English)
Emily: uhhhh...O senhor fala portugues? ([confused and lost look on my face] uhhh...Do you speak Portuguese?)
Brian: Eu falo um pouco de portugues. (I speak a little Portuguese). A Senhora e Americana? (Are you American?)
Emily: uhhhh...Eu sou Americana ([yet another confused and lost look on my face] I am American)

So, what do you think? Pretty cool, I know.

I'm basically bilingual.

1 comment:

Bernice Madsen said...

Wow girly, that is sooo awesome! You're going to have to lend that to me so Jack and I can plan for our future trip to Brazil as well! Then we can both "pretend" to know Portuguese with our hubbies! How are you doing btw? I totally miss you! I feel like I haven't seen you guys in FOREVER!