Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Done and Done

I've received several requests for pictures of my latest "creations" and I was so flattered (thanks Ashley and Natter - you made me feel so good!), that here they are!


This is a single-layer patchwork receiving blanket I made for a baby shower gift. A friend of mine is having a little girl in a few weeks and registered for an adorable 4 pack of receiving blankets. The blankets are 30" x 40" and while great for swaddling/wrapping/cuddling with a baby that is, say, 6 weeks or younger, once the baby hits 8 weeks, the blankets are good for little more than shade in the car (speaking from personal experience).
So I decided to add a tad more time and (hopefully) usefulness to the blankets by combining 2 of them into a larger patchwork receiving blanket (and then left the other 2 alone so she can have smaller ones to use while her sweetie is tiny).
It sounded simple enough in my mind when I planned it all out, but when I sat down to "create", the technicality of the project threatened to dampen my "custom gift making" spirit.
How do you make a single layer patchwork style blanket that has clean seams (no raw edges) on the front and back?
(Because honestly, who is going to want a double layered flannel receiving blanket in LA. in the spring/summer? Plus, she registered for single layer blankets, so I would deliver nothing else.)
While probably easy for so many of you, it took me a couple hours to figure out how to get the outcome I wanted, but we got 'er done!
I ended up pressing the hems in a manner that they interlocked - press the hem on one block up, and the adjoining hem down, so they tuck into each other so sweetly, then just top stitch away and you have a single layer, patchwork receiving blanket that is significantly larger than your run of the mill receiving blanket.


Oops! The boy just woke up:) I'll have to post about my other project later. Until then, happy creating!

4 comments:

Lori said...

What a great idea! I am so impressed that you were able keep everything so nice and flat. Your friend will have one lucky baby girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted pictures! I'm SO impressed. And I'm glad I could help you get like 8 hours of working time yesterday!! ;)

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

Oh my gosh I LOVED my working time yesterday! I think it may be a productivity necessity to visit with you! Watch out...I feel some creative juices starting to flow...

Amelia Smith said...

You are a GENIOUS! (I can't spell that word, seriously tried 10 times) I love this idea.