{as if it weren't obvious, this project is totally post-dated. Please pretend with me that I blogged this on the same day I made it...}
Using this tutorial as a starting point, I refashioned a women's sweater into a fun sweater vest for my boy (don't be wierded out -- the sweater was never "girlie" to begin with, so its not like I'm dressing my son in woman's wear.)
I forgot to take a before picture, but the original sweater was long sleeved with a v-neck.
I modified the tutorial by cutting and piecing the original cuffs from the sweater sleeves to make the binding for the arm holes. I also cut, adjusted, and transferred the sweater's original v-neck to the neck of the vest, rather than creating a new neckline out of binding (I really wanted to keep the look of the original sweater's neck).
Oh, and the awesomely tacky interior finish on the neckline? A needle broke on my serger and I couldn't find the instruction manual to help me fix it, so the freshly cut neckline is exposed...cute, huh?
Please ignore the shotty photos. I've never claimed to be a photographer (though looking at the vest closely might make you question my claim to be a seamstress...).
I figure that on an active 2 year old, nobody will notice the imperfections that scream out to me.
And throw a cute blue oxford on underneath and, well, even I am not that bothered by them anymore :)
1 comment:
I'm so impressed that you're doing this! I've seen it going on some other blogs and looked longingly at their adorable creations. I wish to be a sewer, but a sewer I am not. This sweater vest looks awesome!
Post a Comment