We're doing state core testing at my school right now and I really, REALLY don't like it. You know, I'd like to sit down with the guy who mandated this thing and give him a piece of my mind...better yet, I'll just make HIM administer the test to six and seven year olds.
First off, it is totally developmentally inappropriate (and ridiculous) to test first graders with bubble sheets, but really, let's not get started on that one. Second, alot of my kids seem to be having serious problems with the concepts of "turning your voice OFF during the test," listening to the teacher, staying in your seat, following directions, not peeking at your neighbor's paper, etc, etc, etc... I almost started crying around 9:15 this morning and let's be honest, the day didn't necessarily go uphill from there. There's just something about being ignored and defied by the majority, for 7 hours straight, that really starts to make a person break down and wonder about what she's doing. I mean, I feel like I'm doing everything I can to help my students feel supported and enabled in their pursuits to become responsible people and successful students, but all too often I feel like those efforts are in vain.

Thus, I have come up with a solution to my woes: I am going to quit teaching and apply to be a Walmart greeter! Everyone LOVES the Walmart lady:) Plus, they always listen and respond to her! It's perfect!! Everything I'm looking for in a job! I've even been practicing -- what do you think? "Hi! Welcome to Walmart! Have a great time shopping!"..."Thank you for coming in today! Have a wonderful day! Would you like a sticker?!"
It's going to be great....
No comments:
Post a Comment