Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Melted butter or cocktail sauce to dip your gift in?

The boy is asleep, so I'm going to take this minute I have to blog, to blog:)
Valentine's started on Thursday night for us with our Red, Pink, and White Elephant Valentine's Party. We did the same party last year and had so much fun with it that we decided to make it an annual tradition! Plus, who doesn't love a chance to dress up thematically and exchange wacky gifts while chowing down on red #40 with friends?
Exactly:)
I didn't get to take a picture of the spread, but we had brownie bites, heart cookies, heart & lip shaped chips and salsa, pink sherbet punch, and homemade pizza (for those who partied with us last year, this year's pizza was just square shaped with round pepperoni...taking care of the boy came before cutting pepperoni hearts & crust this time...).
We had lots of fun and saw some impressive white elephant gifts, i.e. a goldfish & accompanying fish bowl, a monkey candlestick holder, and a strawberry hermit crab!
We were the lucky ones to open the crab...IT WAS SO CREEPY! I opened the bag and couldn't tell what it was...until the legs started wiggling! I seriously almost lost it. This thing was the size of your fist and its eyes even popped out...ughhh.
It was incredible.
Sadly, when we brought it in from the balcony the next morning, it was dead. Turns out strawberry hermit crabs need atleast enough salt water to fully submerge in as well as 80 degree temperatures, minimum. I guess the 50 degree nights we've been having just weren't tropical enough for the little guy. And you know what, I actually felt guilty that he died.
Then I moved on.
(I apologize if I just offended any hermit crab activists out there. I'm not a hater. Promise. I'm just not a'ginormous hermit crab in my house' lover.)

All in all, we had a fabulous time and cannot wait for next year!

I would post a bigger picture, but I get uncomfortable just looking at it...


Oh, did I mention that Cupid made a guest appearance at the party?
Not that Cupid is needed. I fall deeper in love with this little boy every day on my own, thank you very much!

Happy Valentine's Day:)

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I love the cupid outfit, too cute!!

Sarah said...

Charlie was so cute in that outfit!! thanks for having me and throwing such a fun party!!

Bethany said...

how. stinkin. cute. (charlie, not that nasty crab...)

Lori said...

Adorable! I am so sad we missed the party, but NOT the crab. Ewe!

Esther said...

A live gift? I have never encountered that before. How funny. I love the little decked out boy. How fun. How did you do that all. Was it a costume you bought? You should check out our little Valentine bug on our blog (my baby of course). Aren't babies so adorable?