Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Today was a rough day...I thought.
Charlie woke up yesterday with a raspy voice and today, it has turned into a full blown cold. That meant lots of sad whimpering, holding, and snuggling today. As a result, I wasn't able to get much done around the house, so it was a rough day...I thought.

Then I came across the story of Cora Paige McClenahan tonight. Cora was ten months old when she was diagnosed with cancer, 4 weeks ago, and she passed away last week. I started crying again, just typing that. My soul ached as I read her family's blog -- this family is too much like ours. They were a young couple, just like Brian and I, simply living life day by day with their first baby, loving and celebrating every new milestone (she even taught kindergarten until last year when Cora was born...just like me). But now their baby is no longer with them. I can't even imagine.

So my day wasn't rough. At all.

In fact, my day was perfect because I was able to hold, hug, snuggle, and kiss my sweet little baby boy all day. When he was sad, I could hold him and make him happy, something these parent's were unable to do for the last few weeks of their baby's life here on earth. All I can say is I am BEYOND grateful for the teachings of the gospel and the plan of salvation; I wouldn't be able to cope with reading the McClenahan's story without the knowledge I have, let alone endure such an experience. I have learned an incredible amount from this family's faith in Heavenly Father and hope that I would have the faith they did if I were called to pass through such a trial. Please read their story if you can, it will change the way you look at everything. For the best.

As a memorial to Cora, donations are being made to build a playground in her name and a lady on etsy is donating all proceeds from her store to the playground. If you click on the link on Cora's name, you can access the etsy shop.
Tomorrow I'm going to sit down and figure out how to add the button to my blog for the playground donations. But for now, I'm going to go into Charlie's room and watch him sleep, just because I can.

I can't think of a better way to end a perfect day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great blog! Sometimes it's easy to think that things are bad and that life it tough, but there are so many things for us to be thankful for. Thanks for reminding me, I needed it, especially today!

Michelle said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing (except for the tears running down my face reading about little Cora). Wow. You are right...each day is a perfect day with our little miracles in it.

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

Do you know how old she is? I have been bawling while reading her blog... Oh man.