Sunday, July 06, 2008

Buckle your seatbelts, ladies & gents...

Have you ever been SO far behind in blogging, that just the thought of sitting down to update things was overwhelming, let alone the act itself? Yeah. Me too.
BUT...just in case there are any folks out there that have even an ounce of faith left in the Ames family, I am forcing myself to sit down to do what feels impossible: update a sinfully outdated blog.
To make this more interesting for those of you who, like us, love to look at people's pictures, this will be more of a Pictionary style update with as little commentary as possible. So without further adieu, our lives for the past month.

Let's start with a little jaunt to Springville -- in the 7 years I lived in Provo, I had always wanted to eat at Cracker Barrel and never had the chance too. I can't tell you why I was so intrigued with the restaurant, but I was:), so we got up early and Brian took me out to breakfast on our last Saturday in Utah. It is seriously the cutest store/restaurant I have ever been to and as such, I've decided it will be a family tradition to go there for a meal each time we're in Utah:)


Does it get much cuter than this?

Next on the calendar would be my last day of school. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that this was one of the hardest days I have ever known. It involved many crying (and some, even clingy) first graders (break my heart), a blubbering pregnant woman (hysterics were involved in my private moments), as well as several crying parents and co-workers. Oh my -- if I'd of known how many tissues I'd go through that day, I would have bought stock in Kleenex MONTHS ago. Seriously.
Geneva Elementary & all that I loved and learned there will forever hold a place in my heart. What an incredible school I had the privilege to be a part of.
My empty classroom...

My Nameplate...

My team... (pardon my tear-stained face)
My School!

Coming up next, a life-altering move to Southern California. Brian, his parents, and a dear friend from our ward spent all of my last day of school and the day following cleaning and packing loose ends away at our apartment while I flew home for a wedding and baby shower. Seriously, what would we ever do without family and friends? Brian and his dad then drove the truck down to L.A. and got us all moved in (I know what you're thinking, "Emily -- how about helping out a little?!" But I did -- I told Brian exactly where I wanted all of the furniture:) I was 30 weeks pregnant at the time).

The Manly Movers (and a plug for Budget?)
Several mile markers from the drive:
An "Iceberg" onion ring from Brian's lunch -- at about 1 1/2 inches thick and 4 inches in diameter, it automatically made "picture-worthy" status.

Baker, CA - home to the "World's Largest Thermometer!"
And now we are here! It's taken some time to adjust (mainly for me -- Brian moved down here at the start of May for his job) but we are really loving it now. We have a fantastic ward who has taken us in as family, a very comfortable apartment in a great area, and lots to do: we're only 15 miles from a great beach, there are parks and hiking trails everywhere (not to mention a duck pond with hungry ducks - unlike the picky eaters on 700 N.!), and tons of community events to fill the summer evenings with. We feel very blessed.

We will always miss and love Utah and all of our dear, dear friends there; but don't worry, we'll be back to visit. And if any of you are ever in town, Hotel Ames will ALWAYS have a vacancy!

9 comments:

Alicia said...

I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Cracker Barrell, too! I'm also not sure on the reason. Sounds like you guys have had quite a month! Good luck getting ready for your little stud!

Anonymous said...

Good job updating I hate when I get so far behind. Hey baby time is coming soon. cant wait. hope you are feeling well

Jill Revell said...

Sounds like you guys are doing well! We miss you guys and you'll always a place to stay if you ever come to Houston :) I'm excited to see pictures of your little baby boy!

Jackie said...

Good update blog. ;) When is that baby coming? I can't wait to see his cute face!! You and Brian are gonna make the cutest kids, I just know it. :)

Greg and Tammy said...

Glad the move went well and you are safe and sound in Cali!!

Brandon and Natalie said...

We are so happy to hear an update! We miss you guys. We will call soon! I am glad the move went well. I am so excited for the future arrival of baby boy Ames!

merrilykaroly said...

You are looking great! Not much time left!! And yes, I fall in love with my little (or big, I guess, he's getting fat) baby boy again every time I look at him. Being a mommy is the greatest.

Jana Clegg said...

Seasons of Change is what I would say you've been in. And yes you'll be able to dance and jump again...although I'm right there with you in feeling like the day will never come again. We would love to visit whenever we make our way to CA! Take Care Friends!

emily snyder said...

can i tell you the tears while looking through these geneva pictures??!!

talk about a whole in the heart :(